I love the flavor combination of garden veggies and chickpeas. Not only are chickpeas a tasty lunch or dinner option, they’re also super healthy and filled with vitamins, protein and fibre. Did you know that a cup of cooked chickpeas contains 12.5 grams of fiber! Best part, they’re really versatile to cook with. I like adding them to salads, stews, soups, or in a creamy hummus dip.
I bring to you my latest chickpea fave… my honey-lemon chickpea salad recipe. The secret to this recipe is to use as many fresh, raw veggies as possible. Not sure which veggies would work well? I got you covered, check out the recipe below.
Serves: 4 – 6 Prep Time: 15min Chill Time: Overnight (optional)
- 1 large (or 2 small) can organic chickpeas, washed and drained
- 2 bell peppers
- 4-5 stocks of celery
- 2-3 large carrots
- ½ red onion (optional)
For the dressing:
- ¼ avocado oil (I enjoy using Chosen Blend Virgin Avocado Oil)
- Juice of half a large lemon (or more if you like it extra zingy)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder (I enjoy using Simply Organic Garlic Powder)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp fresh black pepper
- Wash and finely chop all the veggies and add to a large bowl with the chickpeas.
- In a small bowl whisk all the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing on veggie mix and combine thoroughly.
- Taste to see if additional dressing ingredients are needed. This is where I sometimes add a little more lemon and/or honey.
- Serve right away or store in fridge for up to 3-4 days.
This healthy honey-lemon chickpea salad is great for those that love to food prep. It also tastes even better the next day because it absorbs more of the yummy lemon dressing overnight. Enjoy it for lunch, as a dinner side, or a mid-day snack, either way you’ll be going back for more.
What’s your favourite way to prepare chickpeas? Do prefer them sweet or savoury? Share with me in the comment section or on social media.
Helping you put wellness 1st,