Sunny and hot in September in Toronto? I’ll take it! How have you been enjoying these last few days of summer (although it feels like summer’s just begun!)? I’ve been working and testing out different nice cream recipes, and I’m excited to share with you my latest favourite!
“Nice cream” as many refer to it, is a frozen treat that resembles the texture, consistency and sometimes flavour of ice cream minus animal by-product ingredients. It’s a popular treat among vegans and folks like myself who are allergic or intolerant to dairy. The secret to nice-cream is using rich and creamy ingredients like; coconut crème, cashews, banana, frozen berries, etc. Some recipes require the use of an ice cream maker, other recipes – like the one below – do not.
So now that we’re clear on how yummy nice cream is, let’s get started! To make these delicious layered nice cream squares you’ll need…
Serves: 8 squares Prep Time: 1hour + 20 minutes Total Cook Time: 10 minutes Cool Time: 2 Hours
For the cookie bottom:
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Nice cream layers:
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1 cup coconut cream (the thick cream from the top of a full-fat coconut milk can)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup coconut syrup or maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Add raw cashews to bowl and cover with boiling water for 1 hour then drain and rinse, put aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking pan with parchment paper (loaf sharped – 9×4 or 10×5).
- Blend oats on high until flour consistency is achieved.
- Combine oat flour, salt, maple syrup and melted coconut oil until a loose dough is formed.
- Press “cookie dough” into bottom of the pan and bake for no longer than 10 minutes, or until edges turn lightly golden.
- While cookie layer bakes, blend cashews on high with all other nice cream ingredients accept the cacao powder. Blend until smooth.
- Remove cookie layer from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Pour half of the nice cream mixture on top and place in freezer for an hour.
- While vanilla layers is in freezer, add cacao powder to remaining mixture and blend on high for a minute. Set aside until vanilla layer has chilled (approx. 30 minutes – 1 hour).
- Remove pan from freezer and pour chocolate layer on top of vanilla layer. Place in freezer for another hour or overnight.
- When preparing to serve, remove from pan and thaw for 10 minutes. Cut 8 squares by cutting in 4 and then cutting each piece in half.
Take it up a notch by serving it with fresh fruit and coconut whip!
Nice cream squares are so tasty and can be made with many different flavours. Add a little fresh ground coffee to give the chocolate layer a mocha flavour, or toss in a handful of fresh raspberries to the vanilla layer to give it a fruity taste, the options are endless!
It’s important to thaw a few minutes before cutting and serving – it’s hard to resist eating right away but trust me, this step’s important.
What are some layered flavours you might enjoy trying? Have you ever made nice cream before? Don’t wait, give this recipe a try and share your layer-flavours with me in the comments below or on social media.
Helping you put wellness 1st,