I’ve loved basil and pesto since… well since forever. Growing up, my mom always had fresh basil growing in the garden. I remember being tempted to pluck those delicious little basil leaves while getting the “don’t you dare” look from my mom. Sometimes I just couldn’t help it, six year old Fay wanted to hold on to those little basil leaves and inhale their sweet aroma forever.
I guess it’s only natural that now as an adult I can’t walk by a basil plant without stopping, even if only for a second, to smell its beautiful leaves. And of course it wouldn’t be a complete summer without the satisfaction of growing my own basil! I guess you can say it’s become a bit of a family tradition. Since moving into our home three summers ago, hubby and I have planted tons of different herbs but for me, basil will always steal the show.
Did you know basil…
- Is a powerful antioxidant
- Combats cancer
- Is anti-inflammatory
- Is antibacterial
- Is rich in Vitamin A, K, C
- Contains essential oils and anti-aging properties
- Contains (E)-beta-caryophyllene (BCP) which can help IBD (Inflammatory bowel syndrome)
I have yet to meet someone that doesn’t love this magnificent herb. What’s more is my love for pesto! The flavour, the simplicity, the aroma… I can go on and on.
Making Fresh Basil Pesto
The first time I made pesto I pretty much threw a bunch of my favourite flavours in a blender and hoped for the best. I knew I loved basil and felt that no matter what I added it wouldn’t go wrong; confidence in the kitchen is always key! Sure enough, it turned out wonderful. A few small tweeks here an there and a few more tries later and I had it – my perfect pesto sauce!
A few reasons why I love this easy basil pesto recipe and couldn’t wait to share it with you!
- Made with fresh herbs
- Dairy, gluten, and sugar free
- Easy clean up – all you need is a smoothie sized blender
- Freezes well
- Smells amazing!
- Pairs well with just about anything! Especially seafood, chicken, and pasta.
So how does one make this tasty pesto concoction? Easy! Follow the quick steps below and voila, you got yourself one hell-of-a pesto sauce!
Easy Pesto Sauce
- 1/2 cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large dollops of full fat coconut cream the thick layer that forms at the top of a full fat coconut milk can when stored in the fridge for a few hours.
- 1 crushed organic garlic clove small or medium clove based on your garlicy preference or 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 large bundle of fresh basil 5-6 stems full of leaves
- 1 bundle Italian parsley 2-3 stems full of leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- Wash and towel dry fresh basil and Italian parsley. Remove large stems.
- Add all ingredients into a small blender (add fresh herbs in last).
- Blend on high for one minute, gently pulsing at first to chop the herbs.
- After blending, give it a taste. Based on preferred taste, add a little more of any seasoning ingredients. At this step I usually stir in a little more salt and/or pepper.
- Combine desired amount of sauce with your favourite pasta.
Hope you enjoy this tasty pesto sauce recipe as much as I do. Share your thoughts with me below or on social media.
Helping you put wellness 1st,