Oh how I love a good brownie –hard to resist, right?! Here’s the tricky part, if you have food allergies or dietary restrictions, a decadent brownie can be hard to find [sigh]. I can recall as a teen chowing down on those 2-bite brownies from the local convenient store like they were nothing… gone are the days.
When I discovered four years ago that dairy was the culprit of years of digestion pains, I thought it was the end of me. At that time, about 50% of what I ate had dairy in it. Yogurt, cheese, spreads, baked goods, you name it I ate it all. Little did I know the havoc it was doing on my digestion. To make a long story short, after mounds of research and speaking to various doctors, I discovered I didn’t need dairy to achieve optimal health and no longer wanted it (nor did my body) to be a part of my daily diet.
Fast forward 4 years, still growing and learning in this crazy and beautiful thing called “life”, I’ve adapted a number of healthy food and habit practices; deciding to also slowly reduce the amount of gluten I consume in efforts to one day eliminate it completely. Thus the gradual incorporation of many dairy AND gluten free recipes shared on my blog the past few months. All about those baby steps.
This dairy and gluten decadent brownie recipe is one of my favourites. It’s one of those recipe that makes me feel like there’s hope. I know it sounds weird right?! I’m sure those of you non gluten/dairy foodies know what I’m talking about.
I posted a photo of these brownies several weeks ago on my Instagram and the people spoke; you all really wanted the recipe! But as much as I wanted to share it right away, I really wanted to make sure I made it a few more times to ensure its chocolaty perfection (plus I like taste testing brownies… a lot!).
Why I love this decadent gluten and dairy free chocolate brownie recipe and you will too:
- Super moist
- Portion size is on point
- Dark chocolate lovers dream
- Dairy and gluten free
- Uses wholesome ingredients like cacao and coconut oil
- Fresh batch in 30 minutes or less (that’s what I’m talkin’bout!)
Decadent Chocolate Brownie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup organic almond flour
- 1/3 cup organic cacao powder I used Organic Traditions
- 1/2 cup organic coconut or cane sugar
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 large free range eggs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tsp organic vanilla extract I used Simple Organics
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips I used Enjoy Life
- 2 tbsp coconut cream thick layer that forms at the top of a coconut milk can when refrigerated
- Preheat oven to 350F and line 8×8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add all dry ingredients to medium bowl (sift cacao in last).
- Add all wet ingredients to a large bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Fold until well combined. If mixture is a little dry, add in 1 more tbsp of non-dairy milk.
- Spread brownie batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 17 minutes and then test with a toothpick. Toothipick should come out with just a few crumbs not completely wet. Depending on your oven, it may be ready at 17 minutes. If not, pop back in for 2-3 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and set aside to let cool. Do not remove from pan until last step.
- Melt chocolate chips with coconut cream. You can do this in a double boiler, or in a metal or glass bowl over a small pot of simmering hot water (make sure water does not touch bottom of the bowl when resting over the pot while chocolate slowly melts). Stir continuously until melted.
- Pour and spread melted chocolate evenly over brownies.
- Place brownies (still in pan) in the fridge for 1 hour to help chocolate topping solidify slightly.
- Remove from fridge and cut 3×3 squares. Serve and enjoy!
Tip: Serves well with fresh strawberries, and if you want to get super fancy, a dollop of coconut whipping cream or ice cream. Totally drooling over here!
Give this recipe a try and share your thoughts with me below or on social media!
Helping you put Wellness 1st,