I’ll make any excuse to whip up a tasty smoothie. For those that have been around me long enough, they’ve heard me preach about my 3 smoothie essentials…
Fay’s 3 Smoothie Essentials:
- Texture – it has to be creamy.
- Flavour – potent fruit and/or veggie flavours are a must, and a great way to wake up in the morning.
- Nutritional Value – ingredients that help stabilize blood pressure and sugar levels, and will actually make you feel good.
Once these essentials are down-packed, your smoothie will never fail. Let’s use today’s Strawberry Banana Smoothie as an example; the banana and coconut milk give it a creamy texture, the vanilla and hint of maple syrup bring out the fruit flavours, and most importantly, each ingredient packs high nutritional value. Did you know that coconut milk, especially full fat coconut milk, is rich in fiber, vitamins E, C, B(1,3,5,6), iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous?! That a whole lot of goodness! Don’t forget antioxidant rich strawberries, mama earth packed these tasty gems with folate, potassium, manganese, fiber, and magnesium.
When it comes to strawberries, do try to buy organic. I’ll get into this a little deeper in a future blog post but for now, learn more via the Environmental Working Group’s 2017 Dirty Dozen Guide (a shopper’s guide to pesticides in produce; strawberries being #1 on the guide’s “dirty” list).
Strawberry Banana Coconut Smoothie Recipe
- 1 ½ cup organic coconut milk beverage or almond milk
- 1 dallop of full fat coconut creme from the can solid that forms at the top of the can when milk and fat separate
- 6 frozen strawberries
- 1 small banana
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ½ tsp raw vanilla bean powder or extract
- 1 tsp of maple syrup or 5 drops stevia leaf liquid
- Add all ingredients to blender, blend on high until smooth and enjoy!
What’s your favourite time of the day to enjoy a nutritious smoothie? What do you add to give your smoothie a nutritious boost? Share in the comment section or with me on social media.
Helping you put Wellness 1st,