Mixed berry smoothies are hard to resist. Not only are they tasty, they’re also packed with antioxidants and a number of nutritional benefits.
One of my favourite ways to “super charge” a berry smoothie (or any smoothie for that matter) is by adding chia seeds. They’re rich in omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and provide an excellent source of fibre. They also add a bit of thickness and texture when combined with liquid; if you’re not a fan of their gelatinous constancy, blend at a higher speed for a longer period of time to grind the seeds a bit more.
Chia seeds are not the only reason I love this smoothie! This super berry chia smoothie is also…
- Light and refreshing
- Naturally sweet
- Loaded with fibre
- Packed with vitamins and minerals
- Uses up all those frozen berries hanging around in your freezer
Also, here’s a quick tip before getting you started: buy extra fresh local organic berries while they’re in season, wash, rinse well, and freeze to have on hand for those winter berry cravings (your wallet and taste buds will be thanking you all winter long!).
Super Berry Chia Smoothie
- 1.5 cup non-dairy milk I like to use unsweetened organic almond milk
- 2 dollops unsweetened coconut yogurt
- ½ cup frozen organic wild blueberries
- ½ cup frozen organic raspberries
- 6-8 frozen organic strawberries
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp maple syrup optional
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 1 serving unflavoured collagen peptides I enjoy adding this for joint, GI, and skin support
- 1 scoop vegan fermented vanilla protein powder I enjoy adding this if I have an active day ahead
- Blend all ingredients on high for 1 minute, serve, and enjoy! Serves 1 large portion or 2 medium portions.
- Frozen or fresh berries can be used in this smoothie. I prefer using frozen because it gives it a bit more of a creamy consistency.
- This smoothie is also great to make ahead. I find it last well for up to 2-3 days in the fridge if made with frozen fruits.
I love adding as many berry variations to smoothies as possible! What are your favourite smoothie berry combos? Share with me in the comment section below or on social media.
Helping you put Wellness 1st,