I’m absolutely obsessed with lemons! So fresh, so vibrant, so awakening! Maybe it’s their tangy citrus flavour that wakens my taste buds or perhaps it’s their distinct citrus scent, either way I’ve always been in love with all things lemon!
This lemon love of mine has got me drinking lemon water daily, constantly looking up lemon recipes, and always on the hunt for a new lemony DIY. I also find myself always talking about how great lemon is, its health benefits, and all the amazing things you can make with it. So why not share all this bits and pieces in a fun blog?!
Alright friends, let’s get to the lemony core truth; the fun facts, the health benefits, fun ways to use, and tasty recipes to make with LEMON(S)!
Lemon Fun Facts
It’s not a fun blog post without sharing a few fun facts! Check out these fun facts about lemons – how many did you know? Share with me in the comment section!
Did you know…
- The juice of a lemon is approximately 5% citric acid.
- The first substantial cultivation of lemons in Europe began in the mid-15th century.
- Lemons first uses were as ornamental plants and medicine.
- The four-season lemon (the one typically found in grocery stores) is actually called the ‘Eureka’ lemon.
- Lemon juice contains slightly more acid then lime juice, and five times the amount of acid found in orange juice.
How cool, right? Now onto the amazing benefits of lemon…
Lemon Health Benefits
There are so many great health benefits to adding lemon to your day. Here are a list of some of the top benefits:
- Rich source of Vitamin C (64% in 100g), helping boost immune system
- Supports and aids digestion
- Powerful antibacterial, helping fight infections
- Helps prevent kidney stones
- Supports dental health, helping prevent gingivitis
- Source of minerals like potassium, calcium, magnesium
- Supports skin health
Ways I Love Using Fresh Lemon and Lemon Essential Oil
- In cooking and baking
- Kitchen and bathroom counter cleaning spray
- Eliminating smell of garlic and onions on hands post-chopping
- In a DIY hand/foot scrub (1 tsp lemon, 1 tbsp cocnut sugar, 1 tbsp coconut yogurt)
- As an essential oil to add to laundry dryer balls
- As an essential oil to add to a diffuser
8 Tasty Lemon Recipes
Craving a little lemon in your life? I know this feeling very well. Whether it’s the dead of winter or middle of summer, I enjoy lemon flavours and scents all year round. You’ve got to admit, there’s nothing better than walking into the subtle scent of a lemon-fresh home (the real lemon scent, none of that artificial stuff). Ok, ok, the scent of freshly baked cookies can top the list too!
Looking for a little lemon recipe inspiration? I got you. Check out some of my fave lemon inspired recipes below.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bliss Balls (Gluten Free, Vegan) – from Choosing Chia
- Lemon Hemp Hummus (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Vegan) – from The Healthy Maven
- Creamy Lemon Ginger Salad Dressing (Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free) – from Healthnut Nurtrition
- Creamy Lemon Macadamia Nut Tart (Gluten Free, Dairy Free) – from Joyous Health
- Easy Lemon Garlic Chicken Thighs (Paleo, Whole 30) – from Paleo Running Momma
- Lemon Roasted Potatoes (Glute Free, Vegan) – from Wellness1st.net
- Sugar Free Lemonade (Gluten Free, Vegan) – from The Blender Girl
- Paleo Lemon Blueberry Bread (Paleo) – from Ambitious Kitchen
Hope you enjoyed learning a little something new about lemons and their wholesome goodness. Do you have any favourite lemon recipes or DIY’s you’d like to share? I’d love to hear them! Share them with me in the comment section or on social media.
Helping you put Wellness 1st, Fay