Let’s be real, quinoa on its own can be pretty darn bland. As much as I love quinoa now, when I first started cooking with it 4-5 years ago, I had no clue what I was doing and didn’t know much about what seasonings to use. A few recipe trials later, I learned that quinoa was like a super-seed sponge; the more seasonings I added, the tastier it became.
Some of my all-time favourite quinoa seasonings include;
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried parsley
- Ginger powder
- Cumin powder
- Yellow curry powder
- Cacao powder (check out my chocolate quinoa pudding recipe)
- and of course salt/pepper
It really is all about the seasonings when it comes to making any quinoa dish. Whether it’s a bit of garlic, dried herbs or spices, quinoa relies heavily on such added flavours to give it a more complete taste. If you’ve ever tried eating plain quinoa you’ll know exactly what I mean.
Benefits of Quinoa
A quinoa bowl isn’t just packed with flavour, it’s also loaded with nutrients. Did you know half a cup of quinoa contains 4 grams of protein and approximately 15% of you daily magnesium intake?
Here are a few other great health benefits of quinoa;
- Is naturally gluten free and non-gmo
- Great source of protein and amino acids
- Contains vitamins B1, B2, and B6
- High in fibre – higher than most conventional grains (2.5 grams per half a cup)
- Excellent source of minerals, including; manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, folate, copper, iron, zine, and potassium
- Good source of antioxidants
- Low on the glycemic index (good for stabilizing blood sugar)
That’s a pretty powerful seed if you ask me! Yes, fun fact; quinoa is actually from the seed family, not grain family, making it naturally gluten free.
With all these great benefits, I can’t help but make quinoa often. I enjoy adding it as part of meals or as a side dish, and even as part of a desserts. It’s great to cook with because it’s simple to prepare, absorbs the flavour of whatever you add to it, and leaves you feeling full and satisfied
Why I love this Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
My Mediterranean quinoa bowl has become a favourite in the Knights residence. Here are a few reasons why we love it:
- Loaded with flavour
- Filling in a good way
- Simple to make
- Packed with wholesome ingredients
- Great source of protein, fibre, vitamins, and minerals
- Excellent option for meal prep (tastes great cold!)
Let’s get into this tasty recipe, shall we?!
Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
- 1 cup organic tri-colour quinoa
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 organic tomato seeds removed and diced
- 1/2 organic cucumber diced
- 1/3 cup Kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp organic dried oregano
- Pinch fine Himalayan salt
- Pinch ground pepper
- 2 Sliced or shredded cooked chicken breasts
- 1 organic sweet bell pepper diced
- Crumbled Goat Feta cheese
- Wash quinoa well. Add to a medium pot with broth, evoo, and garlic and onion powder.
- Bring quinoa to a boil, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Once quinoa is cooked, fluff with a fork and set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- While quinoa cools, in a small bowl combine all dressing ingredients, stir well and set side.
- Dice tomato, cucumber, and optional red bell pepper and/or cooked chicken breast.
- Serve by placing preferred amount of cooked quinoa in a bowl, add toppings, and drizzle with dressing.
- I prefer eating this bowl when the quinoa has completely cooled to room temperature or for lunch or dinner the next day.
- If you’re making to enjoy the next day (or couple days), store quinoa with toppings in an air tight container and store dressing separately. Add dressing when ready to enjoy.
- Lasts up to three days in the fridge.
How do you enjoy making quinoa? What are some of your favourite herbs and spices to add? Did you give this recipe a try? Share with me in the comment section below or with me on social media! Don’t forget to tag @wellness1st_net to connect me with your tasty Wellness1st creations!
Helping you put Wellness 1st,