There’s something so dreamy about a hot pot of fluffy mashed potato. There are so many ways to make mashed potato but I like keeping it wholesome and simple; using quality ingredients that support my overall health. Mashed potato has quite the negative ‘bad carb’ stigma, but when prepared with healthy ingredients and served in proper portion, a scoop of mash can actually be pretty good for yea.
My perfect dairy free mashed potato recipe contains only 5 simple ingredients, each adding a variety of health benefits:
Potato: A healthy and naturally gluten free root veggie. High is vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and fibre. Also, a good source of Vitamin B with zero fat or cholesterol.
Organic Coconut Cream (from the can): Containing the nutritional components of coconut meat, coconut cream has zero trans fat or cholesterol. It’s high in saturated fat (medium-chain fatty acids) helping increase good cholesterol, and is an excellent source of minerals, B Vitamins, and folate.
Himalayan Salt (Pink Salt): Naturally harvested and unrefined, Himalayan salt contains more minerals than table salt, such as; potassium, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
Organic Ground Black Pepper: An anti-inflammatory spice packed with antioxidants. Studies have shown black pepper to support brain, gut, and heart health, while balancing blood sugar and helping lower cholesterol. It also supports nutrient absorption (you may notice it commonly paired with turmeric for this purpose).
Organic Garlic: Strong tasting allium (onion) family plant with many health benefits, including; high in Magnesium, Vitamin B6 and C, rich in antioxidants, great for boosting immune system, reducing blood pressure, improving cholesterol, and supporting brain health.
Combined, these healthy ingredients make for a delightfully healthy pot of mashed potato; perfect for quick dinners, meal prep, and last minute get-togethers.
Why you’ll love this mashed potato recipe…
- Easy to make
- Soft, creamy, and airy all at the same time
- Uses healthy, simple ingredients
- Pairs well with various proteins (i.e. baked fish or grille chicken breast)
- The perfect base recipe that can be adapted with more herbs/seasoning based on preference
A few kitchen items you’ll need…
- Potato peeler
- Medium-large pot
- Potato masher
- Cutting board
Perfect Dairy-Free Mashed Potato
simple health ingredients.
- 8 medium organic white potatoes
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut cream the creamy solid that forms at the top of a full fat coconut cream can
- 1 small crushed garlic clove or 1 tsp organic garlic powder
- 2 tsp Himalayan salt + a pinch more for when boiling potatoes
- 1/2 tsp organic ground black pepper
- Wash, peel, and roughly cube potatoes.
- Add potatoes to a medium-large pot, fill pot with water until potatoes are covered. Place on stove top and bring water to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, reduce heat to medium-high and let potatoes continue to boil for 20-23 minutes (depending on how big you cubed the potatoes this time may vary).
- Fork potatoes to see if ready. If forked easily, they’re done. Pour out water (do not use strainer). Leave 1 tablespoon of the potato water behind in the pot.*
- In the same pot, to the potatoes add salt, pepper, crush garlic or powder, and full fat coconut cream.**
- Mash well until desired consistency is achieved. I mash for about 3 minutes but you can mash less if you prefer it a bit chunkier.
- Taste test; add more salt/pepper based on preference. Serve hot and enjoy!
There you have it friends, perfect dairy free mashed potatoes ready in 30 minutes with minimal mess and clean up! Love mashed potato as much as I do? Be sure to give this recipe a try and tag me in your potato mashing fun using @Wellness1st_net!
Helping you put Wellness 1st,