I love chocolate cookies. Scratch that, I love DOUBLE chocolate cookies! The taste, the aroma, the chocolately goodness… you can’t go wrong friends.
This double chocolate cookie recipe is one I’ve made again and again, and again! I’m so happy to be finally sharing it on the blog –way overdue.
Through the many double chocolate cookie baking trials, I’ve experimented with at least fifteen or so gluten free paleo flour combo variations. More almond flour, less coconut flour, more flax, less flax, one egg, two eggs, I can go on and on! This recipe right here, how do I say this without tooting my own horn? It hits the double chocolate cookie craving spot. 😀 Chewy and moist, with just the right amount of lift.
Why I love these double chocolate (paleo) cookies
- Double the chocolate goodness
- Chewy and moist at the same time
- Easy to make
- Take less than 20 minutes from start to finish
- Little clean up
- Can’t tell they’re actually healthy!
What makes these double chocolate cookies a healthy alternative?
- They are made with organic raw cacao powder; an unprocessed pure form of chocolate and a rich antioxidant
- Are gluten, dairy, and refined sugar free
- Are high in fibre and protein; from the almond flour and eggs
- Great source of good fats; from the almond and coconut flour, and avocado oil
- Contain a number of antioxidant properties; from the cinnamon to raw cacao, to Canadian maple syrup
- Are super clean; no preservatives or artificial flavours, just the good stuff
Steps to making these double chocolate cookies
- Combine wet ingredients
- Add in all dry ingredients
- Scoop evenly, bake, and enjoy!
A few tips for this double chocolate cookie recipe
- This recipe is easily made in one large bowl (less clean up – woohoo!)
- Measure coconut flour carefully – this flour is super absorbent and will soak up all the liquids if you add too much
- Let the cookies cool at least 10 minutes before eating, this will give the cookies proper time to set and the chocolate flavour will be more evident. These taste just as good, If not better, the next day too.
- Store these at room temperature for up to 4-5 days (zero judgement if you devour them in a day haha). They will last a few days longer in the fridge but they will harden and dry out quicker.
- Serve fresh with a dallop of coconut whip for an extra tasty treat!
- See more tips in “Notes” section of recipe
Moist Double Chocolate Cookie Recipe
Moist Double Chocolate Cookies (Paleo, GF, DF)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Whisk or fork
- measuring cups and spoons
- Rubber Spatula
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper
- Cookie scoop
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Canadian maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract gluten free
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 cup dairy free dark chocolate chunks or chopped chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk all wet ingredients (egg, maple syrup, oil, vanilla). Add in flax and coconut sugar. Whisk, let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Measure into the large bowl each dry ingredient. Whisk everything together well. Use a spatula at the end if batter becomes too thick.
- Once combined (dough should be a bit sticky but form together nicely), with a cookie scooper, scoop evenly onto parchment paper – about 8-9 cookies.
- Press down cookie balls lightly (about halfway). They will spread slightly. Add dairy free chocolate chunks on top of each cookie.
- Bake at 350F for 8 minutes. Do not exceed 10 minutes – these cookies are meant to be super chewy and moist.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.
• If you prefer these cookies to be much sweeter, fold in 1 cup of chocolate chunks before scooping onto baking sheet instead of placing just a few chocolate chunks on top (as in photo).
• Cookies last up to 4-5 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Have you tried baking paleo cookie before? They’re tasty and super easy to make, give them a try and tag your tasty double chocolate cookies photos with @wellness1st_net on instagram or any social media!
Helping you put Wellness 1st,