Whenever I make a meal or develop a recipe for the first time, I try not to set expectations high. I know there are things that could go wrong; ingredient portions, cook time, etc. Instead I try to go with the flow and let my senses and taste buds guide me.
The first time I made crispy roasted chicken thighs, I followed my low expectations rule of thumb. Would the thighs overcook? Would I burn the potatoes? My intuition told me, “don’t worry, it’ll all turn out just fine.” And more than fine it did!
I was so pleased with the results of this dish. I’ve made it countless times since and I’ve verbally shared it with so many fellow foodies. It was about time I put fingers to typing and shared it on the blog. If you love cooked-to-perfection chicken thighs with a tasty crispy outer skin (minus the deep fryer), then this recipe is for you.
Why I love these Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs?
- Prep time is minimal
- Use only a few pieces of equipment
- Thighs turn out crispy on the outside, soft on the inside
- Thighs taste amazing!
- Potatoes and carrots are flavourful and pair nicely with the crispy baked thighs and dairy free tzatziki!
- Clean up is a breeze
What makes this recipe a healthy meal option?
- Simple wholesome holesome ingredients
- Loaded with good fats
- Great source of protein
- Pink salt and lemon helps to keep blood alkalized
- Good source of potassium (from the potatoes and carrots) and Vitamins A, B6, K (from the carrots)
Steps to making this recipe:
- STEP 1 – Wash, peel, and chop potatoes and carrots.
- STEP 2 – Wash chicken. Add all into baking dish.
- STEP 3 – Season all ingredients. Pour a bit of water into each corner.
- SETP 4 – Bake covered with foil. Remove foil, bake some more. Rest for a few minutes and enjoy!
Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs Recipe
Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Measuring Cups
- Cutting Board
- Large Baking Dish
- Foil Paper (if baking dish does not have cover)
- 4 – 6 free range antibiotic free chicken thighs (1 pack)
- 4 – 5 large white potatoes
- 3 large carrots
- 1 small onion
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- Juice from one large lemon 4 tbsp
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 – 3 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Sprinkle of black pepper
- Sprinkle of paprika
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Wash, peel, and chop potatoes, carrots, and onion. Add all into baking dish.
- Wash chicken thighs. Add to baking dish with veggies.
- Drizzle the avocado oil over top of all ingredients and then add all seasonings.
- Combine with clean hands until evenly coated. Sprinkle with black pepper and paprika, and a little more salt for good luck ;).
- Pour a bit of water into each corner of the dish as do not disturb the seasoning on top of the chicken. Shimmy the dish slightly to create an evenly thin layer of water at the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with foil. Bake at 425F for 45-50 minutes. If the things are large in size, bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and remove foil. Raise oven temperature to 450F. Place back in oven to cook for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let rest for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Dairy free tzatziki = thick coconut yogurt, pressed garlic, onion powder, dried parsley and oregano, salt and pepper.
- Us a big enough baking dish where the potatoes and carrots lay out somewhat evenly, do not stack too high.
- Season chicken thighs on both sides.
- Do not substitute in olive oil – olive oil burns at very high temperatures. Avocado oil produces the best results for this recipe.
- Do not use skinless chicken – the results will not be the same.