‘Tis the season for love, laughter, and eggnog! When it comes to the holidays there are always a few tasty goodies on my mind; gingerbread cookies, peppermint patties, and my favourite… a decadent glass of homemade eggnog!
There’s something so special about making eggnog at home for the holidays. Not only does it make your home smell ah-mazing, it also provides the flexibility of using healthy simple ingredients – less sugar, zero preservatives, and a whole lot of tasty goodness – you can’t go wrong! 🙂
If you’ve never made eggnog before, get ready for one of the easiest and quickest holiday recipes ever. All you need is a few common kitchen tools, 8 simple ingredients, and 20 minutes on the clock.
Before we dive into the recipe, here are a few reasons you’ll love this homemade eggnog…
- Minimal set up/clean up.
- Allergen friendly; gluten, dairy, soy, and nut free.
- Naturally sweetened.
- Source of protein and good fats.
- Creamy, smooth, and silky all at the same time!
- Double or triple the recipe, store in a pretty glass bottle with a ribbon and you’ve got yourself a fancy (and yummy) holiday gift.
A few simple ingredients you’ll need…
- Conestoga Farms organic eggs
- Coconut milk and cream
- Organic spices like cinnamon and cloves
- Local natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup
- A good quality vanilla or vanilla bean
Why cook with Conestoga Farms Eggs and the benefits…
- Conestoga Farms works with local Ontario egg farms to offer homes across Southwestern Ontario quality premium egg options
- Choosing Conestoga Farms eggs helps you support local farmers
- There are a variety of egg options to choose from, including free run, free range, organic, and free run omega-3
Healthy Homemade Eggnog
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Small blender
- Medium saucepan
- Large glass jar
- 3 3 Conestoga Farms gg yolks organic
- 3 cups organic unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk from the can, stirred than poured
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/4 organic ground cloves
- 1/4 organic ground nutmeg optional
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Add all ingredients to ablender accept the vanilla. Blend on high until well combined (30 seconds).
- Transfer mixture to a saucepan and cook on medium-high for 5 minutes, whisking often, careful not to bring to a boil.
- After 5 minutes, lower to medium-low and cook for 10 more minutes, whisking often.
- Remove from heat, whisk in the vanilla. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture through a sieve into a large glass container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For a warm version, pour and serve with a dollop of coconut cream after mixtures rests.
- Each serving is approximately 2/3 cup.
- Do not bring mixture to a boil. If mixtures starts to bubble before 5 minutes when on medium-high, reduce heat to low and gradually raise to medium. This prevents the yolks from cooking too fast and creating little lumps in your eggnog. There should be a creamy layer on top when cooking but no bubbles.
- This eggnog is tasty when served hot or cold. It will thicken overnight in the fridge for a more traditional eggnog consistency.
How do you enjoy drinking eggnog –hot or cold; with a shot of espresso, liquor, or on its own?
This recipe is a festive treat that’s sure to please those taste buds. Give it a try and share your thoughts with me in the comment section below or on social media.
This blog was created in partnership with Conestoga Farms. Check out their website to learn more about Conestoga Farm Eggs and where to purchase in your area.