I love experimenting with different soup recipes and flavours. I find the fall months so inviting to a good ol’ cup of soup, not to mention all the local seasonal veggies making their way into the grocery store. Yet there are so many options that making soup can be daunting at times, but there’s one thing I want you to remember, you can never mess up soup!
It was around 5 years ago when I made soup for the first time. I didn’t really know where to start, which ingredients to use, or how long to cook what for. The more I Googled and Pinned the more confused I got. I decided to keep it simple and stick to the basics; choose a broth, my favourite veggies, and add salt and pepper. From there, taste-test until I had a flavor and consistency I enjoyed (enter my hearty veggie soup).
After discovering how easy it was to make soup, a soup addict feeling took over. I started picturing everything in the grocery aisle as a form of a soup; imagining what ingredients I could boil, blend, and infuse together to make soup. Long story short, I started to discover that the soup possibilities were endless.
Since discovering this love for making soup, I’ve tried making a variety of flavours, my most recent being carrot-ginger. This is by far one of the quickest soups I’ve ever made – so quick, I was beginning to doubt myself while making it but it turned out freakin’ amazing! I couldn’t wait to share the recipe with you. You know it’s a good one when the hubby asks you to double or triple the batch next time you make it.
Why I love this creamy carrot ginger soup…
- Healthy, healthy, and did I say healty?!
- Super creamy
- 20 minutes to make tops
- Zingy ginger kick
- Zero dairy, gluten, or preservatives
- Paleo friendly (if that’s your thing)
- Cost effective
Creamy Carrot-Ginger Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 2 -3 tsp freshly grated ginger depending on how gingery you like it
- 3 cups organic low-sodium chicken broth or veggie broth works well too
- 1 cup water
- 1 lb bag of organic baby carrots this is usually the small bag, the big bags are 2lbs
- 1 cup frozen butternut squash
- ½ can full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of fresh or dried thyme
- Sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- In a medium-large pot, heat olive oil on medium-high and add in chopped onion. Sautee for 2-3 minutes.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper and then add in the ginger and sautee for 1 mote minute.
- Add in carrots then pour in broth and water, ensuring all ingredients are covered with liquid. Bring to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic powder, thyme, coconut milk, and squah. Boil for another 10 minutes.
- Poke carrots with fork, they should be tender and easy to fork – that’s when you know it’s ready.
- Remove from heat and then with a handheld blender, blend until creamy (about 3 minutes).
- top with toasted walnuts (as shown in picture), sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
Hope you enjoy this creamy soup as much as I do on a cool autumn or winter day. Give it a try and let me know your thoughts! Share with me below or on social media.
Helping you put wellness 1st,