Since going dairy free over three years ago, I’ve discovered so many healthy alternatives when baking. And, although it started with cutting dairy due to a dairy intolerance, I’ve really grown to appreciate the creativity of baking with various healthy ingredients. I say “creativity” because it really is something you have to be inspired to do; substituting butter, swapping in milk alternatives, determining flour to liquid consistency ratios… it’s not as easy as Instagram and Pinterest make it look.
It takes trial and error, blog reading, Youtube watching, but once you take the healthy baking plunge something magical happens; the taste of fresh goods without all that added ‘stuff’ makes you and your belly actually feel super good!
Don’t get me wrong, this is not about why you should cut dairy or start making everything from scratch yourself; it’s more about the appreciation of natural foods, the art of combining wholesome ingredients to make something fulfilling, and enjoying food that makes you feel good. Whether that’s cutting preservatives, processed ingredients, high levels of gluten, animal fats, or dairy like myself, it’s more importantly about making healthy choices that support YOUR health.
Enter my vegan banana loaf. You might be asking, “Fay, you’re vegan too?!” No, no, I’d say I’m 50% vegan / 50% chicken souvlaki eater -the Greek in me won’t ever let a good chicken souvlaki go to waste :D, don’t judge me.
With this said, I like to experiment and play around with different recipes, so this recipe accommodates all my vegan friends and those moments I just don’t feel like consuming anything from an animal, cuz that’s just how I roll… well at least 50% of the time!
Why I love this vegan banana bread recipe and why you’ll love it too!
- Super moist and flavourful!
- Vegan, also gluten free option available
- Naturally sweetened
- Banana + dark chocolate combo = heaven
- Freezes perfectly
Alright I’m starting to drool, let’s get into it!
Vegan Banana Bread Recipe:
- 2 cups sprouted spelt flour or gluten free baking flour (i.e. Bob's Red Mil 1 for 1l)
- ½ cup light organic coconut palm sugar
- 2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- Pinch of organic ground nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional: ½ cup dairy free dark chocolate chips and/or walnuts
- 2 organic ripe bananas
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk beverage
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or light olive oil
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg 1 tbsp flax meal with 3 tbsp water set aside for 5 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly line 8×4 or 9×3 loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a small bowl mash bananas. Stir in egg replacer, combine thoroughly and then mix in all other wet ingredients (oil, vanilla, milk).
- In a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredient mixture into dry ingredients and fold repeatedly until thoroughly combined.
- Once all ingredients have been combined, gently fold in optional chocolate chips and/or walnuts.
- Pour batter in pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Test with a toothpick at the 35 minute mark.
- Remove from pan, let sit for 15 minutes, slice and enjoy!
Pairs perfectly with your favourite cup of tea or fresh fruit!
The photos I took for this post are my banana bread with mini dairy free chocolate chips, but the bread tastes amazing with or without them. Explore the recipe and share what favourite add-ons you enjoy in banana bread with me below or on social media.
Helping you put wellness 1st,