Tasty gluten free oat pancakes made simple.
I absolutely adore pancakes, come to think of it, I don’t believe I know anyone that doesn’t like them. So comforting, warm, and fluffy that they’re impossible to resist. I also like how easy and quick they are to make. All you need is a bowl, pan, a couple utensils, and a few simple ingredients.
On a gluten free pancake mission…
Being dairy and gluten free, I was on a mission to develop a tasty and fluffy pancake recipe that would suit my needs (any many others for that matter). And yes, I did try a few boxed gluten free pancakes but all of the ones I found (even the healthier ones) had too much sugar for my liking, and formed really flat and un-fluffy pancakes. So into recipe development mode I went in the hopes of something much, much better.
All-in-all I tried four or so pancake recipe variations using different gluten free flours and milk alternatives. I was disappointed in a few results, felt mediocre with one or two, and was then super satisfied with my most recent recipe. Finally, a gluten and dairy free pancake that did not taste grainy or rubbery and instead was fluffy and moist. There were no second thoughts here, this recipe was a keeper and one that I was excited to share. Note: this recipe is not vegan, it contains an egg but I trust that substituting a flax egg will bind the ingredients just as well (although I haven’t tried this yet).
So what are you waiting for?! Grab that mixing bowl and let’s get pancake making!
Gluten free oat pancake flavour combos…
For the purpose of my taste buds, I made these pancakes apple-cinnamon flavoured, but really you can adapt them into any flavour you’d like. For example, lemon-blueberry, chocolate chip, orange-cranberry …you get the point.
Fluffy Apple Cinnamon Oat Pancakes
- 1 cup oat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp powdered maple sugar – optional
- 1 egg pasture raised
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Vegan butter for coating pan
- 1 small sliced or cubed apple (my preference is gala or pink lady)
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- coconut nectar or maple syrup for drizzling
- 1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla protein powder
- In a small bowl combine all dry ingredients, set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together all wet ingredients.
- Whisk dry ingredient mixture into wet ingredient mixture until fully combined. Let sit for 5 minutes (this will help it slightly thicken).
- Warm a skillet or pan to medium-high. Coat with ½ tsp of vegan butter. With a ice cream scooper, scoop as many pancakes that will fit on the pan (my pan fits three). Make sure to leave half an inch or so between the pancakes.
- Once small bubbles start to form around pancakes wait 20-30 more seconds and then flip. This is usually at the 2 minute mark.
- Cook reverse side for 1-2 minutes and plate. Repeat until batter is done.
- TIP: to give the pancakes added height (like the pancakes you see in food photography pics), pour each pancake scoop in the pan, wait 15 seconds and pour another half scoop on top. This will make the pancake taller and even more fluffier. Do not pour more the half a scoop on top or else it will spill over the original scoop; you want it to be the same size or smaller than the scoop you poured first.
- When pancakes are finished cooking, rest on a wire rack or thick paper towel to prevent pancakes from getting soggy.
- Pancakes can be stored in the freezer for 2-3 months. Make a double batch and freeze a few for those on-the-go moments.
These pancakes are perfect for a laid back weekend or weekday morning boost. Give this recipe a try and share your thoughts with me in the comment section below or on social media. On Instagram? Share your fluffy oat pancake pics with me by tagging @Wellness1st_net.
Helping you put Wellness 1st,