I’ve heard many say that a turmeric late is an acquired taste – you either love or hate it, I disagree. The first time I tried a turmeric latte was about 5 or 6 years ago at a local health food store. I wish I could tell you that I loved it but the reality was I wanted to spit it out as soon as I took a sip. I was disappointed in myself because I knew how health benefiting turmeric was.
As I scrolled through beautiful online photos of golden turmeric lattes, I knew there had to be a way I could learn to enjoy this drink. I was determined to try a turmeric latte again. Avoiding all forms of refined sugar, I was on the hunt for a healthy turmeric latte making cafe. I found a location close by and gave the latte a try… it was just ok, better tasting than the first one I tried but still not the greatest. I was convinced they were making it wrong.
I bought my first lil’ pack of organic turmeric powder and was on a mission to make a tasty and creamy turmeric latte that tasted good – not too earthy, creamy, and just sweet enough. The result… amazing! I made it again, and again, and again! With the right amount of turmeric, plant based milk, spices and natural sweetness, I instantly started to love turmeric lattes! Why I didn’t try making on my own from the beginning? No clue. I learned my lesson and now cheeringly spread the word that homemade turmeric lattes are the shizzz, hahaha. You really can’t knock it ‘til you’ve made it for yourself, am I right?
New to turmeric lattes or looking for a recipe that will get you loving turmeric? Give this recipe a try!
Why I love this recipe?
- It uses simple and clean ingredients
- It takes only 5 minutes to make
- Tastes better than any store bought turmeric latte I’ve tried
- Packed with warm, soothing flavours
- It’s easy to make lighter or stronger in flavour
- Subtle sweetness with a rich spicy flavour
- Silty ½ tsp vanilla extract (gluten free)
- Silky consistency
What makes this Classic Creamy Turmeric Latte healthy?
- Loaded with anti-inflammatory properties
- Packed with good fats
- Clean source of plant based protein
- Rich in antioxidants
- Source of a variety of vitamins and minerals
- Naturally sweetened
3 simple steps to making this recipe:
- STEP 1 – Add dairy free milk and coconut cream to milk frother or small saucepan to heat
- STEP 2 – Make turmeric paste
- STEP 3 – Pour warmed dairy free milk mix into turmeric paste, stir, enjoy!
Tips when making this recipe:
- Homemade nut and oat milks froth the best. If using store bought non-dairy milk, almond and cashew froth nicely. There are also a few brands that have “barista” on the label which mean they froth well.
- Do not bring the milk to a full boil, more of a simmer, because high heat will kill off some of the inflammatory properties of the turmeric.
- This latte is a bit on the strong turmeric flavour side, if you prefer it a bit lighter reduce turmeric powder a bit.
Classic Creamy Turmeric Latte Recipe
Classic Creamy Turmeric Latte
- Measuring Cup & Spoons
- Milk frother or small saucepan
- 1 1/4 cup dairy free milk of choice*
- 1 tbsp full fat coconut cream optional but recommend
- 1 tsp organic ground turmeric 1/2 tsp if you don’t like it strong tasting
- 1/4 tsp ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground or freshly grated ginger
- Small pinch of black pepper
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract gluten free
- 1-2 tsp real Canadian maple syrup
- 1 tbsp room temperature water
- Optional 1-2 tsp grass fed collagen
- Add dairy free milk (I used almond) and coconut cream to a milk frother/steamer or small saucepan. Bring to a light simmer (3-4 minutes).
- While that heats, add all the turmeric paste ingredients to a mug, adding liquids last. Mix well with a fork or mini whisk.
- Pour steamed milk into turmeric paste mix. Blend lightly with the fork or mini whisk.
- Sprinkle with more cinnamon and enjoy!